Monday, June 11, 2007

NARSTY!

Okay, so, a couple postings ago I talked about the Cicada's and how they were expected to emerge. Well turns out, they emerged but for some reason they're not in the town where I live. Even in the older parts of town where the trees are older there aren't any. Kind of weird...but the whole thing is weird so I guess its pretty much par for the course. Anyways, tonight I went outside to turn on the water for our almost dead lawn and there was 1 random cicada dead on my patio. So, since it will hopefully be the only cicada I see, I took a couple pictures.

Turns out they're a lot smaller then I thought they would be

check out the narsty red eyes. eeeeeeewwwwww!
Just as a side note, another mom on Jack's baseball team was telling me that her mother lives in another suburb and they were so many that emerged and crawled out of their gross shells that their shells were everywhere! At the base of trees, all over the sidewalks, EVERYWHERE! Some people even had to use snow shovels to get rid of all the shells from their driveways and sidewalks. She also said that when you look at a tree the entire trunk was covered with them. Now imagine what it'll look like in a couple weeks when they all die.
YUCK!

10 comments:

Heather Palmer said...

Ok that thing is hideous! BUT I find it very fun that you have fireflies in your backyard! I've always wondered what they look like in the dark! :) I've never seen one. And BTW...all that about the shells being all over the sidewalks. Imagine that with crabs! Like actual crabs that you eat. I was watching some show that was showing this town where you couldn't even walk down main street in the spring because of all the new crabs. Is that gross or what? Anyway...hope you don't have to dig out your shovel!

Bonnie said...

That thing is gross! We have spiders all over our yard and I usually end up killing 2 or 3 in my house everyday!

PS - isn't it fun that I can now post comments on your blog!! I set myself up an account once a long time ago when I commented on Cori's blog but could never do it again. Turns out I could have been posting comments this whole time but didn't understand how to...baby brain!

Nicole said...

that is so gross I think I might lose it! YUCK!

Jeni said...

Do they make a noise? or bite? SICK Those things are sure ugly!

shannon said...

i totally just had mini vomit in my mouth and shuddered from the red eyes. NARSTY is right (with jocelyn saying it!)

Lindsay said...

That is so nasty! The red eyes are the grossest part. Eeewww!

Marilee said...

YYYYYUCK!!!! That is gross! Did I tell you about my millions of ants infestating my basement? Narsty too! But I didn't take a picture! Should've but didn't! Oh well! Thankfully the creatures arent' covering your driveway! That would be truly NARSTY!

Jocelyn said...

I can NOT stand cicadas!! Not only are they about the sickest, narstiest things EVER... but they are also so stinking loud that it drives me BONKERS! So glad I don't have to deal with them now that I'm out of the midwest. Narsty is an understatement! Stop taking pictures of them... PLEASE! ;)

angie j. said...

Sick sick sick is all I have to say about that!

Lindsay said...

Your blog just got all fancy! How did you do that!