Sunday, June 03, 2007

Help me Mommy! PLEASE!


Here is a darling picture of my little Brady who had fallen asleep on the chair the other day. He just looks so sweet and precious (which he mostly is) that I had to take this picture. Notice how his left eye is wound free? That changed a day later when he tripped and fell into the very corner of the coffee table!



On Friday afternoon I had volunteered to help at Field Day at Jackson's school. TJ was home working so I put on a movie for Brady and Natalie and off I went. When I arrived I quickly realized that they didn't really need me to volunteer so I decided to leave and go to the grocery store. As I was turning into the grocery store my cell phone rang and it was TJ, but all I could hear was Brady SCREAMING in the background. I asked if everything was okay and TJ just said, "where should I take him?" I asked him if he needed me to come home and he said yes. So I flipped a U-turn and got home in about 2 minutes. Just a quick side not...it was actually a very good thing that I ended up leaving field day when I did because I had left my phone in the car when I was at the school. TJ would've been on his own had I stayed!
By the time I got home Brady had calmed down and was sitting on his daddy's lap with a wet paper towel on his wound. You know how sometimes when your kid crashes you question whether or not it even warrants a trip to the ER? Well this was the kind that we absolutely knew would need to be stitched. There was no question at all!
Fortunately for us there is a kind of "satellite" hospital emergency room right by us that deals with minor emergencies like stitches and minor broken bones. Its quite handy actually because they also have medical offices and x-ray, MRI and CT scan equipment, so things you might normally have to go to the hospital to do you can do at one of these out patient facilities. Anyways, it cuts down on having to drive 20 minutes to the actual hospital and it cuts down on an ER wait. Since it was a pretty clean cut, we figured we could take him to the satellite facility because it wouldn't need the expertise of a plastic surgeon. So Natalie, Brady and I headed over there so TJ could stay home and catch up on work.
We were only there for just over an hour, which was great! Poor Brady is not a fan of our regular doctor when he just has a well baby visit so you can imagine how he reacted to a stranger who was messing with his boo-boo. Needless to say it was very traumatic for him, especially when they had to strap him into a "papoose" to stitch him up. For those who have never seen one (I hadn't until the other day) a papoose is a board that the child lays on. They then wrap a blanket around the kid, arms down, laying flat, and then velcroe the straps of the papoose around the child. Its basically a humane strait jacket of sorts. I kept warning the nurse and doctor that Brady is super super strong (the last ear infection he had our family dr. was literally laying on him to hold him down) but I don't think they took me very seriously since the nurse was still struggling to keep Brady's head still and since he almost broke out of the papoose. At one point she looked at the Dr. and said, "Wow! He's really really strong." Ummm yeah....didn't I tell you that????
So my poor baby was strapped down SCREAMING at the top of his lungs, "Help me Mommy! Please! I stuck, I stuck. I scared! Help!" To make matters even worse, to stitch the boo-boo his head was being held to the side, and they put paper with a hole cut out around the wound and the rest of the paper was covering both eyes so he couldn't see that I was there. I kept telling him that I was there and patting his arm through the papoose but it didn't help. He screamed his poor little head off the whole time. It was so sad, and it did bring a tear to my eye, but I must say that I myself was impressed with my own bravery. For those who have yet to experience something like that...it SUCKS!
So here are some pictures of Brady's boo-boo.

This was right after we got home from getting his boo-boo fixed.

Surprisingly happy for such a traumatic day.

Band-Aid off...Day 1

Comparing both eyes...the oowies one is just a little swollen and black

Morning of Day 2. Quite a bit more swollen but not as black and blue as I expected. That morning when he woke up it was totally swollen shut and he was rather distraught that he couldn't see out of it. The swelling went down a little though.

Poor little dude. For some reason Jack and Natalie are calling his swollen eye, his twitchy eye.












10 comments:

Jeni said...

poor kid!! He is so cute, even with a sore swollen eye!

Lindsay said...

What a sad story! It almost made me cry just thinking about how sad he was. But it looks better than I thought it would.

Ali B. said...

Poor Brady! He is so precious. I think it would be really hard to watch when your baby is crying and asking you for help and you can't help him. I am glad he is doing okay and I love the precious sleeping picture.

Marilee said...

I haven't read the whole blog yet but wanted a peek at the pictures of Brady's eye. Poor kid. Looks like its in a good spot at the eyebrow. It looks like Garetts when he fell when he was little. It will heal up well and you won't even see the scar! Gotta run but I'll read the blog tomorrow! Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I remember when Sky was three and in the hospital with pneumonia and they had to strap her arm down to put in an IV. It was so sad and that was just her arm! Brady sure is resilient, it was probably harder on you than him!!

Heather Palmer said...

That is heartbreaking! I know I'm in for it..Nixon is such a menace. What a sad little "Ouie". He's still cute though even with his stitches!!

shannon said...

that's awful for poor brae brae, but i am glad he's so tough. and i am so proud of you for being so tough also! good job whoolie!

Marilee said...

This is Annie talking: I hope your owie gets better soon Brae Brae! Love you lots! -Annie

Marilee said...

Okay so I read the whole thing and a few tears came to mine eyes. I remember when G-man had to be put in the jacket for his stitches. He was a bit younger but absolutely hysterical. Papa was with me and he cried while I tried to be strong! It sucks big time! I'm so glad he survived it (and that you did too!) Love You Brae Brae!

Erin said...

Poor Brady! I agree with everyone though - he's still frickin adorable. He must have been so scared! We're glad he's doing better now.