Sunday, June 03, 2007

HEEEEYYYYYY!

A quick story for you all...

So you know how I think people here are mostly rude or stupid? Here's a CLASSIC 'Cago story for ya. Now, in all fairness its been awhile since something like this has happened, and really, something like this could and does happen everywhere, it just seems it happens more here then other places. Notice how I'm trying to be more positive??? : )

I was at the grocery store yesterday looking at bags of salad for TJ, who is on a health kick. After a quick look over I realized I had gone too far and took 2 steps back so I could turn my cart around. When I took my second step, I felt I had stepped back into something and then I heard a lady yell, and I mean YELL, "HEEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!" Startled, I turned to look and as I did I realized I had stepped back into the side of a ladies cart. (She had a cart with a kid riding on it and was also pushing a baby in a stroller, even though the baby was big enough to sit in the cart.) Weird. Anyways, my first instinct was to apologize and after I did she just kept walking and totally gave me the dirtiest look. Suddenly I realized what had just happened so I said to her, "A simple excuse me would've been nice." to which she replied in a very loud yell, "Well I'm not the one who wasn't paying attention!" to which I responded, "Aren't you polite! What a wonderful example you're setting for your children." And that was it!

After she walked away I got more and more irritated and thought of all the nasty mean things I could've and probably would've said had I thought of them in time. Its a good thing I didn't think of the nasty mean things until after since she had her kids with her, even though it would've made me feel better. I'm also really baffled as to why someone would totally yell at a complete stranger for accidentally stepping back into their grocery cart. Does anyone out there have an answer to that?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't explain why some people are so obnoxious but I think your response was great! Also, I had changed my blog format and forgot to re-add the family blog links. You're back now!

Heather Palmer said...

Because people are idiots!!! I've noticed that people here are more rude than at home...but that is comparing US to Canada to which I find an obvious difference. I always know I'm home when I hear the unneccessary "sorry" or "excuse me" or a simple "Merry Christmas!" I swear...only at home. Something similar happened to me once but I did nothing...so I was happily reliving the moment as I reread your story! SO GLAD you spoke up....and what a great response! Go Julie! Honestly...didn't you wish you could have just smacked her? What is it with people? Though...I do find I'm far better at sticking up for myself when I'm pregnant. Must be the hormones.

Lindsay said...

I still think your response was great. You were totally classy, which apparently, she was not. What a loser! You forgot to add that she was total white trash. Maybe that's because you're trying to be more positive!

Jeni said...

I remember this one time Libby and I were at Costco - you know those HUGE carts there and how uncontrollable the wheels are MOST of the time. Well Libby barley bumped into a ladies CART and she got sooo mad - I will never forget the whole thing.. but how pathetic people are about that. HAHA that is funny but I am glad you said something back!

angie j. said...

I hate people like that!! And might I just add that pregnant ladies always trump the situation. Seriously...like *ugh* stories like that just BUG. You're such a nice girl to bit your tongue and not pull and Angie and swear in public :)

Nicole said...

Road rage in the store! What crazy people.....you were good not to say anythign too bad! :)

The RC Miller Clan said...

No answer but that was a hilarious story! That's happened to me so many times. I can never think of anything good to say either.

p.s. It's Chely, Rick's wife...

Joy H said...

I hate MEAN, RUDE people. Life is just to short to live like that. I'm sorry she was so mean to you.

One time in Costco, I was being ultra-careful b/c it was crowded. I DID stop short of this guy, but he turned and RIPPED me a new one!!!!!!! I apologized for getting in his personal space but I hadn't done anything. Even the guy next to me said 'but sir, she didn't touch you.' It was soooo weird.