Monday, July 17, 2006

WE'RE HOME

Hello All! We are home from our week long trip to Los Angeles, CA. This posting will serve as a bit of an introduction to our trip and from here I'll post in sections.
Just to make this post interesting though I must tell you about the lovely "Welcome Home" we received yesterday when we got to the airport. Out flight got in at about 6:15 and I had gate checked my brand new Graco stroller in L.A. I purchased this stroller specifically for this trip and because it mostly matches my baby bucket and I'll be able to use it as a 4 in 1 when I have another baby. So anyways, we get in and I end up waiting about 15 minutes on the jet way for them to bring off my stroller. Suprise of all suprises, after they FINALLY bring it up its totally broken. The front left wheel has totally snapped off in a way that clearly indicated to me that something heavy had been thrown on it. So, knowing that most airlines don't cover Strollers for damage I go downstairs to the Southwest baggage area with Brady and Natalie while Jack and TJ go get our luggage from baggage claim. So I go in and tell the lady what happened and she goes to get her supervisor because they don't cover strollers for damage. Well to make a long story short, they totally try to screw me over by telling me that we signed a waiver that says they aren't liable for damage to the stroller. Well, normally we would have signed it but they didn't have TJ sign the correct one in L.A. when he gate checked the thing, but they tried to tell me that there was nothing they could do other then file a corteousy report and then have me write into headquarters. Well of course I am having none of it and I proceeded to pitch one of the biggest fits in my life. I was yelling and shaking and sooooooo pissed off. I think I made quite the scene actually. Anyways, after I pitch my fit I take my insane 2 year old over to his father and he tells me that they've lost our carseats so I go back in the baggage office, slam my bag tags down on the counter and say "And by the way, you lost our carseats!" So then the lay who was handling the stroller asked me how much I paid for it and when I bought it and told me that they would pay me for it. So whether or not they could tell I was at my breaking point or whether or not they figured out that I knew what I was talking about as far as signing the correct waiver I got my way.
Now you may think the story ends here but it doesn't because what would a welcome home to Chicago be without idiot, rude people? We get everything worked out at baggage claim, get loaner carseats and are on our way out to catch our shuttle to the parking lot when the cart full of our luggage tips over. To get the full effect of this you must picture the scene...Me, carrying a 34 pound baby, Jackson and Natalie with their backpacks and TJ pushing the cart with 7 bags, a set of golf clubs and 2 car seats. So here we are with our little kids and a butt load of luggage that had just fallen off the cart and not a single solitary poerson thought to help. In fact all they did was stare. So I give a small suitcase to Jack and a small one to Natalie, I pick up Brady, my backpack, TJ's computer bag and both carseats and TJ puts the rest of the crap on the cart and we walk to where we catch the shuttle. So then the shuttle bus arrives and we have to load all the crap on it. So I get on it with Brady and have him sit down, and Jack and Natalie get on after me. Then I stand there and load the luggage onto the shelves while TJ hands it up to me and there's really not enough room for it all anyways, not to mention I'm still struggling with carseats and carry ons being in my way and guess how many perfectly capable people tried to help? NONE! It is simply UNBELIEVABLE to me that the people here are so incredibly rude and self-centered. Then they sit and stare at you like "what the hell is your problem?" It makes me crazy! So after we were all settled on the shuttle I said to TJ, "Welcome Home! Nice of anyone to offer to help us with our bags!" So with all this I will refer you to my new motto while I live in 'Cago..."I'm sorry, my fault. I forgot you're an IDIOT!"

4 comments:

Heather said...

You rock! And yes I'm so sorry, my fault I forgot you were an idoit!! I am with you.

Proud Momma said...

HA...i'm sweating just reading that story! That is seriously something that would happen to me...and good thing to know about the waiver...I'm not sure if i've ever signed one of those?

Jeni said...

Hillarious! - But seriosly, I was in suspence the WHOLE time and loved it! I think people just stare always - on my way home I being a pregnant lady drop my VERY HEAVY bags whilte trying to get them off the caresel and people just stare - thanks for the help! That is nothing compared with 3 little kids and tons of bags, but you know!

Heather Palmer said...

Ugh. I feel your pain. Same thing (well not the same amount of damage) happened to my BRAND new double stroller on my way to Florida in March. I swear they TRY to damage those things. Anyway...good to know about the waiver. I have NEVER signed one. And...I Love your new motto. That is totally how people in Oregon are as well. I wonder if it's a west coast thing; rudeness.