Jackson--6 months old
Let's just start by saying this baby picture of Jackson makes me laugh but it really hurts my heart! He is so fat and so cute and oh my...time goes so fast! Seriously people...just felt and heard my heart break!
Okay, enough of the nostalgia...I decided I needed to blog about the transition of Jackson's name, since some of you who aren't around us a ton might be wondering. And if you're not wondering then its just good for posterity purposes!
Almost 11 years ago I gave birth to a son who TJ and I decided to name Jackson McBride. He remained Jackson, or Jack, or Jack-o-beans up until about 2 years ago when we moved to Utah.
In the late summer of 2008, Jackson was put on a football team with another Jackson and a Jack. His coach, to avoid any confusion, dubbed my Jackson, J.B, the other Jackson, J.T. and the Jack remained Jack. Needless to say J.B. stuck and the rest is history!
Now, I have mixed feelings about the impromptu name change of my child. I don't think his coach intended the initial name to stick in every facet of Jackson's life so I certainly don't blame him, but it did. His friends were all on his football team so they would call him J.B. at school and when they phoned the house. Then TJ started using it outside of football/basketball practice, then his teachers at school. It was really surprising to me when one day I was using his real name to get his attention and he wasn't answering me. When I said 'J.B.' he responded! That's when I knew the name I chose for him was no longer what he went by! It was a little bittersweet for me. I don't hate 'J.B.' but at the same time its not what I named him, yet I find myself calling him 'J.B.' and referring to him as such on the blog, because let's be honest, its easier to type!
Bottom line, his name is Jackson and I try to call him that as often as possible, but in reality most of the people in his life call him J.B. and even I have picked it up! I certainly don't mind if you choose to call him J.B. but if you still want to call him Jackson or Jack or Jack-O-Beans, please do!
J.B.
As a side note, his teacher asked him what he wanted to go by this year in school and he told her 'Jackson'. Now we have a bet going to see if she'll pick up J.B. by the end of the year because his teacher last year did!!!!!

10 comments:
Oh, how I heart him. He will always be Jack-o-beans to me. Although I do sometimes call him JB. The crafty Jack picture hurts my heart, but dang he couldn't be anymore handsome!
What a cutey!! I loved him when he was so chubby!!! And look at how big and handsome he is!!! Hard to believe how quickly time flies!!
such a handsome boy! he was such a cute little kid too.
He will always be Jackson to me (sorry if that sounds a little Daresque!) Love that kid!!
I never thought I would call him JB, but I do every once in awhile. I love that handsome boy!
I love the nickname jb. And I love all of the new posts, your kids are so stinkin cute!
Such a darling boy! I can't believe how old he looks!
He's still Jackson to us! I love the pics- holy cow was that boy cute and chubby! Now he's just cute!
Secretly, I WAS INDEED wondering why you kept calling him JB. "What the heck is she doing?" I'd ask myself. Ah ha... it all makes sense now. But I'm afraid he's a Jackson to me. I just can't call my future son-in-law JB.
I still call him Jackson! What a handsome kid!
Post a Comment