Wednesday, January 21, 2009

THE INJURY (or eenjury, as we like to say)

TJ is injured.  Injured bad!

  What happened you ask?

2 words for ya...

CHURCH BASKETBALL (gasp!)

I won't bore you with TJ's personal history of playing church basketball, but it does involve stitches, what I now think was a broken ankle but he refused to ever have it x-rayed and an injury that, lets just say we're lucky we have Reece.

So now, the last and final injury of TJ's church basketball career is....drumroll please...

A RUPTURED PLANTAR FASCIA LIGAMENT
(SEE PICTURE BELOW)


OUCH!

So the deal is this.  It happened last Tuesday night, we saw the Podiatrist on Wed and he gave TJ a boot to wear for 6 weeks.  For the first 3 weeks he needs to be on crutches.  We now have the first week down with 2 to go.
 
In 4 weeks TJ will visit Dr. Rogers again and determine whether or not he will need surgery.  This particular injury doesn't typically respond well to reconstructive surgery so they're waiting the 4 weeks to see if TJ's body works its magic and starts to repair it on its own.  If not the surgery has something to do with saline to increase blood supply on the bottom of his foot which I guess promotes healing????  Who knows.  I'm no Doctor!  I am, however, banking on TJ's body to do the repair!

We have a guy in our ward who is a Physical Therapist and he has told us that this injury is an extremely difficult injury to rehabilitate.  He told us that TJ has a very long road ahead of him and from all descriptions (swollen, bruised, sore to touch) TJ has given him about the state of his foot he says that TJ really did a number on his foot.

We feel very blessed however that it is his left foot.  If it was his right he wouldn't be able to drive and probably would've had to go on Medical Leave and since TJ has a goal this year of being ranked in the top third, that would've been bad!  Not a good way to start out 2009.

As for me I'm hangin in there.  I feel bad for him but its like having another 18 month around!  (ok, not that bad, but pretty close! )  Its also hard because he's such a HUGE help around the house.  I am taking good care of him though and with him out of commission I am much more appreciative of how much he actually does help me with everything.  I will never complain about him feeling the need to vacuum or sweep right after I did it ever again!  He's a good hubby and I love him!  Poor guy!

So I'll give you all the update in 3 weeks after he sees the doctor!

13 comments:

Heather said...

Poor Poor Teej. I am so sorry and so sad about it, but I know he has it in him to heal all by hisself.

Lindsay said...

So sorry about the eenjury! I hope he doesn't need surgery, that would suck!

Erin said...

Matt says "You gotta not be an idiot when you play chuch basketball!"

Erin said...

Dude, that sucks! You'd think that after all the injuries he wouldn't even be playing church basketball anymore. Hopefully that was the last of it. Sorry that you have another kid!

Proud Momma said...

ouch! my foot is aching just looking at that top picture of a torn plantar fascia! Get better TJ...and stay away from church ball!

Kacey said...

Church basketball should be banned! ;-)

Poor TJ. I'll be praying for you guys!

Monica said...

I remember you saying that when we chatted. Ouch is the first thing I thought of when I saw his foot, then you said it in your post! anyway hope for a safe and complete recovery!

Leslierush said...

yikes...so many injuries in church basketball. one time when lee was playing church basketball a guy broke his femur!! Who does that? I guess it gets pretty competative. Good luck with the recovery though, that would be tough.

Our family chaos said...

Church ball is one dangerous sport! Poor T>J. Hope he gets better lightening fast.

Marilee said...

I read this the other day and didn't comment yet because I wanted Adam to read it! LEt's just say we were laughing ourselves silly just because of your intro, which we figure, most people won't get. "Injured, Injured bad!" HILARIOUS!! After we read it Adam said "Julie is a really good writer". That's a HUGE compliment just by the by, because Adam is pretty particular with his writers. Anywho, poor Teej. We hope it gets better in time for GFG! That would be tragic if its not. He'll have to be the photographer and dad will call a "num num".

Ali B. said...

That sounds very painful!! Sorry Teej!

Jeni said...

Ah church ball. Always brings on injuries. How come they are so rough? SUPER scrapy. church ball is the same whereever you are and those boys are ruthless!!
I hope it heals quickly for him, AND you!

Joy H said...

Dare I tell you that my hubby tore his planter facia -- did the boot and a cast.......

I don't think I can tell you about how messed up his foot still is.