BIG mouthed celebrities who pop their mouths off about things they know NOTHING about. Nor do they care to read and research enough to learn the facts.
For example, the latest comments by TOM HANKS on the Mormon's involvement in Prop 8.
HE SAYS Mormons are UN-AMERICAN for supporting Prop 8.
I SAY we are very AMERICAN for sticking up for what we believe in and preserving our RIGHT to teach our children what marriage really is. FREE SPEECH anyone?
HE SAYS, "the truth is a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money to the church to make Prop 8 happen."
I SAY a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money DIRECTLY to the Prop 8 campaign. While we were encouraged to support the Prop 8 effort, the last time I checked we weren't writing checks to the church, handing them in with our tithing slips labelled "for the prop 8 effort." I don't live in California so maybe I'm mis-informed but that is my understanding. Besides that, there were some Mormons who were against Prop 8, namely Steve Young's wife. I also say that other religions were also involved. Namely, CATHOLICS!
HE SAYS, "the truth is this takes place in Utah,"
I SAY the truth is this took place in CALIFORNIA. The truth is the last time I checked Mormon's didn't make up OVER 50% of the population of California. There WERE others who agreed with the Mormons.
HE SAYS Mormon's discriminate.
I SAY Mormon's are now and have always been discriminated against. Case in point...the rallies outside the Los Angeles Temple. All the Anti-Mormon websites on the internet. The extermination order of all Mormons in Missouri that wasn't revoked until the 1970's. And even, YES even, the fact that Mr. Hanks is executive producer of a little HBO show called BIG LOVE and the fact that Mr. Hanks is ignorant of the Mormon Church's ACTUAL involvement in the Prop 8 campaign.
TOM HANKS obviously has no idea what he's talking about. I guess GOOD ACTOR/DIRECTOR/PRODUCER does not equal SMART PERSON. It seems we didn't realize how prophetic Forrest Gump was when he said, "I KNOW I'M NOT A SMART MAN."
14 comments:
I heard about this today too and it just makes my blood boil.
Tom Hanks is an ignorant idiot!
Wow! Great post!! It's always such a let down to hear of things like this. Your post needs to be an ad campaign!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate that. Why do they even try to sound educated in matters like that. He just needed someone to point the finger at. Ignorant.
I totally agree Ju Ju! Colton read me the article just last night. When Tom Hanks said, "The truth is this takes place in Utah," he was referring to the show Big Love, not prop 8. It made me sad though because I really like him.
Julie, I think you need to send this to something. Maybe the publisher of the article you read! Seriously. This needs to be read by more than just your blog following but to the world!! Seriously! Send it somewhere!
Oh yeah, and I check the extermination order revoked date. I just read this to Adam and we both think it happened sometime since we've been married. They had some big dinner where the governor or senator of Missouri or something came to SLC and had dinner with Pres. Hinckley to extend the apology! I'll check it!
You were right. The extermination order was rescinded in 1976, but I swear I remember some sort of dinner or apology in recent years. Anywho, no matter.... :-)
You are dead on about all of it. The church wouldn't even allow meetings for the campaign on church grounds. I know because I was involved with it. All donations had to be sent directly to protect marriage campaign. I agree with Marilee though - you need to send this in. Also something you should mention is why other churches weren't targeted - the guy giving the preyer at Obama's inaguration was a HUGE prop 8 supporter. Not to mention if we're talking about tolerance, prior to the election, property (homes/cars) was defaced and signs were stolen or ripped to shreds. Doesn't sound like tolerance of my beliefs and opinions. I didn't do anything to them... SEND IT IN!
I'm laughing picturing you saying these words out loud and getting madder and madder as you type them. Excellent post.
You go girl!
Send it somewhere! Tom has opened his mouth too many times to sound smart anymore. Why do we put celebrites on this pedestal?
You could not have said this better. It is completely true, your the best!
Ditto!
Just had a thought...I think you should send this in to Bill O'Reilly!He always reads stuff like this at the end of his shows and he's been talking about Prop 8 the past few weeks.
Also, totally random but I have an 8x10 picture of your family that I did for a test color print if you'd like it! (its the same as your header pic) Let me know next time you're in the neighborhood...you can stop by and pick it up or if I'm over there...
Post a Comment