Monday, October 27, 2008

9 Years Ago...

My life changed forever with the birth of....

Jackson McBride Brinkerhoff
October 27, 1999
6lbs 9 Ounces
18 inches
12:18 a.m.

For months I took care of Jackson around the clock.  Every 3 hours he'd be wanting to eat.  Good thing his smitten father was more then willing to help out with those late night feedings!  Then one night he slept through the night!  Joy of joy's, I thought.  Maybe I can do this after all.  Then all of a sudden my tiny baby boy looked like this...

Crafty Jack!

Then it seems like all I did was blink and he looked like this!

After I blinked I vowed to treasure every moment with Jackson (easier said then done as all parents know)  I watched as he stacked up cans of food to make giant towers.  I would watch him while he slept and sometimes would pluck him out of his bed when he was asleep for a snuggle.  I learned about patience, love, chaos but most of all I learned that I could love more then I ever thought possible.  All of a sudden the next thing I knew he was...

This big!
School, playdates, soccer, t-ball...the days I had looked forward to for so long were finally here but time was still ticking too fast for my liking!  One day I turned around and...

HE WAS THIS BIG!!!

What?  Wait a sec...how did this happen?  First Grade?  School Bus?  Homework?  More friends?  Flag Football?  Baseball?  

And now he's...

THIS BIG!!!!

9 years old today!  Where has the time gone?  It really seems like a minute ago my buddy Jack and I were taking a walk to ShopKo or a trip to McDonald's for a Happy Meal.  Together we hardly had a care in the world and the 2 of us were best buddies.  All my time and attention were focused on HIM!  Not that I would change anything that's happened since that day 9 years ago.  I love all my kids but I wish I had treasured the time Jack and I had alone together a little more.  I wish I knew then what I know now...that time passes too fast.  He's half way to 18, half way to leaving home, almost half way to going on a mission.

So on this day, 9 years after my life changed forever I'd like to pay tribute to Jackson.  Here are 10 reasons why I love him so much!

1.  He is HILARIOUS!!!  He really is so funny and has such quick wit.
2.  Jackson is extremely kind hearted.  He is compassionate, empathetic, sensitive and kind.
3.  With all his kindness he is also ALL BOY!!!  Football, basketball, golf, guns, wrestling, being crazy!  I'm telling ya...all boy!
4.  He is a fantastic big brother!  He is the first to volunteer help with Reece and he always lets Brady play with him and his friends.
5.  Like most oldest children he is very responsible.  He is also patient since he needs to put up with his idiotic parents.  We're learning as we go!
6.  Jackson is fun!  He loves to have fun.  He's always been social and always wants to play with friends.  Good thing there are a lot of them around to play with.
7.  He loves his family.  He loves his Dad and he sometimes even asks me on dates.
8.  He is a FANTASTIC snuggler!  When he was little he would climb in bed with me EVERY morning and snuggle.  Even though he's too big and busy for that now he still will snuggle me whenever he has a chance.
9.  His smile lights up a room.
10.  All you have to do is meet him to know how special he is.  There is something about him that you just know how GOOD he is!

Happy Birthday Jackson!  I love you more then you'll ever know!  You helped all my dreams come true.  Thanks for being such a fantastic kid.  I don't what I ever did to deserve such a great kid but I'm grateful that Heavenly Father sent you to me!

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

Seriously Jules, were you just trying to make me cry? I love that Jack. I also can't believe he is 9. He is so big and handsome! I'm glad that you live closer now so that we can see you all more often!

Erin said...

Aaaawww! Jack's getting so big! He really is such a sweet kid and we love him lots. 9 doesn't sound that old but when you start saying halfway to everything it makes you realize just how big it is! We wish we could be there to see him more often. Happy Birthday Jackson! We love you!

Kacey said...

(This was a really good post Julie!) Good reminder of how fast time goes by...

Happy 9th Birthday to Jackson!

Ali B. said...

I remember that night when Jackson was born!! He is such a handsome and am grateful I am his aunt!! Happy Birthday Jackson!

Evie B. said...

Happy Birthday Jackson!

Our family chaos said...

What a beautiful post. When I met Jackson he hadn't even started pre school yet. What a handsome kid. You are lucky and suh a great mom. Wow how time flies.

Monica said...

Darling post. I know exactly how you feel. I feel that way about my little boy. Or not so little he and Jackson are the same age. He is so grown up. Where does all the time go?

angie j. said...

happy birthday jack! i love that i was there the day he was born. he's such a handsome boy - you've done a great job with him! and he is so good. you're right about that.

i love that you have the song "godspeed" on your blog. i loved that song from the first minute i heard it...and knew that someday i'd have a baby boy and that would be my song for him. turns out i did, and it is! :)

love ya jules. hope jack had a great birthday.

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

I well remember staying with you as a new mommy and helping take care of Jackson as a newborn - being the fill-in grandma when your mom and dad were on their mission. Wow! time does fly. He is such a cute, cute boy. Happy Birthday Jackson. Love you, Auntie Lori

Heather said...

I'm not really sure what to say - I love that boy like he were my very own! Crafty Jack is the best! I love you Jack I'm glad you had a great birthday. Thanks for making me cry Julie!

Heather said...

I tagged you!

elizabeth, eliza, liza, liz, elles, etc. said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYY

Heather Palmer said...

That was so incredibly sweet! Happy Birthday Jackson (and Happy Birthday Julie!)

Amy said...

Very nice! Happy Birthday to the both of you!!

Love you tons!!!

Dottie said...

Happy Birthday to Jackson and to me, only it was 37 years ago...