Monday, February 19, 2007

Aaaaahhhh! Paradise

Okay so I was a total big fat loser and hardly took any pictures of Hawaii, but I do have few so I'll post what I have. We had a WONDERFUL time with D&J at Ko 'Olina resort so a huge THANKS to them for inviting us to go with! What a beautiful place! I just love it there...the smell, the mountains, the weather, the beach...its all so amazing.

So we left on Friday, Feb 2 and flew to SLC and then onto Honolulu. Unfortunately TJ and I had both come down with colds, and by the time we arrived I was running a fever and TJ was exhausted! We didn't let it dampen our spirits though and we made ourselves stay awake until 1:00 a.m. our time so we could adjust to the 4 hour time difference. After a good nights rest I felt a lot better, but TJ wasn't able to sleep well so he was still pretty wasted, which was very unfortunate for him since it was the day that him and my dad golfed at Turtle Bay. He had a good time though, and afterward my mom and I met them for lunch in the little surfer town on the North Shore. We ate the best hamburger ever and then on our way back to our hotel we stopped at the Dole Pineapple factory for some pineapple frozen yogurt! YUMMY! After we got back we just sat by the pool.

Sunday we went to church and then over to Pearl Harbor. TJ really loved that since he'd never been, and I of course enjoyed myself since there were things I'd forgotten about. We were able to see the USS Missouri parked at Pearl Harbor but didn't have time to tour it that day because we had to make it back for Superbowl kick off.

Monday and Tuesday mom and I chilled while the boys golfed and then on Wednesday it was cloudy so after a morning at the pool we decided to pack it in and go over to see the Missouri. I have a HILARIOUS picture of us there, but my scanner isn't working so I have to wait for TJ to scan it on his. I'll post it when I get it. Its soooooooo funny. Anyways, it was amazing to tour a real battleship (as opposed to a fake one???) Especially one with so much history. For those who don't know the Missouri was very pivotal in winning the battle in the pacific in WWII. It was one of the battleships that was raining gunfire and bombs on Iwo Jima and the peace treaty that ended WWII was signed on the deck of the ship. Then it was modernized in 1986 and fought in the gulf war. It was the only and last operating battleship in the Navy's fleet and is now at Pearl Harbor with its bow facing the bow of the Arizona. We were told that usually ships are docked with their bow facing out to sea, but they thought it would be appropriate to face the Missouri toward the Arizona to watch over the men that rest there. They also found symbolism in the fact that the Arizona marked the beginning of the U.S. involvement in WWII and that the Missouri marked the end so they thought that would be another reason to face them bow to bow. I thought that was pretty cool, and also significant.

We spent our last days soaking up the sun at the pool and beach, and even saw a Humpback Whale offshore that breeched 4 times in a row. That was very cool since its something I'd never seen before, except on the Pacific Life commercials of course.

So in between our relaxing and eating and drinking lava flows we even had time to spot a few NFL players that were staying over at the JW Marriott Hotel (we were at the Marriott Villas). I saw John Lynch, my favorite, Drew Brees, Tiki Barber, TJ saw and chatted a bit with Champ Baily and Drew Brees and we saw Peyton Manning, and John Lynch again. We saw lots of other guys but had no clue who they were. That was pretty crazy and my only regret is that I didn't say hi to Lynch the first time I saw him. In my defense though I was in a robe from the spa and he was getting on an elevator with his wife and kids.

And lastly, but FOR SURE not least, I'm sending the BIGGEST, HUGEST LOUDEST MOST SINCERE EVER SHOUT OUT to Lindsay for being such a radical sister/sister-in-law/auntie and coming out here to take care of my kids. Not only was it the most awesome thing ever, but she was here during the coldest week of the year so that makes her even more wicked awesome. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! You're the best!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Fun, of course I'm still having pangs of jealousy. I love you and your battleship. No, seriously it looks cool, I would love to check it out.

Lindsay said...

I'm glad you had soooo much fun! TJ's pictures at the airport are awesome by the way! I'm pretty sure that I need to go to Hawaii again. Yeah, I'm positive I do, let's go!

shannon said...

sounds like you had an awesome, wicked time! i am still so jealous that you got to go, but you deserved a vacation!

angie j. said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm glad you guys had a good time. You look great - so do D&J! :) Loves.