We have hit a milestone at our house this past weekend. A very important milestone I might add. For those who don't know, at our house we call a pacifier a soo-soo or a soose. That stems from the fact that Canadians call pacifiers, soothers, and somewhere along the line, whether with us or my sisters kids it became a soo-soo, a soose, or a see-soo. Anyways, all my babies have been major "soo-soo" kids, with Natalie being the worst and Brady coming in at a very very close second. A mere 2 weeks ago he could hardly function without it in his mouth all day, but on his birthday I decided that he was a big boy and he could only have it during night-night (nap and bedtime). So I got a little box and every time he woke up from night-night he said bye to his soose and it was forgotten until the next night-night. Well, the first few days of that was pretty rough and emotional but as the days went on it got easier and easier for him to part with his soo-soo's. So this past Friday night TJ put him to bed and he didn't ask for it. He slept all night long, even though he did wake up earlier then normal. So on Saturday I wasn't sure what to do since I had a babysitter, but finally decided that I wouldn't make her deal with that whole issue and told her to go ahead and give him one for his nap and bedtime. Then yesterday he asked for one at his nap so I gave him on but then he didn't ask for one at bedtime and again, slept a full 12 hours without it. Since he was doing so well we decided that we didn't want to watch this very small window of opportunity to ditch the soo-soos to close so he didn't get one at nap time today. When he woke up from his nap, (he did sleep shorter then he normally does, but that is to be expected) I asked him if he was ready to throw his soose's away, and he said, "unkay". We took his box downstairs to the kitchen trash and he picked up each soother and one by one threw them in the trash and said, "bye-bye, soo-soo". Then tonight when I put him to bed he didn't ask for one again, but after about 5 minutes of being in his crib he started calling for me. I went in and asked him what he needed and he said, "soo-soo?" And I said, "Brady, you threw your soo-soo's away in the trash, remember?" And he responded simply by saying, "Oh No!" It was so funny! That was it...no crying, no fussing, just "oh no!" How freakin' cute is that?
When I told Heather about it later she said that he was actually probably thinking, "aaaaahhhhhh sssshhhheeeeee!" but since he can't say that he just said, "Oh no!" (for those who don't know the aaaaahhhhh sssshhhhhheeee story, let me know and I'll tell ya)
So there it is! One more milestone down, hundreds more to go. I'll tell you though, its sad that my baby is a big boy now. All he needs now to be an official big boy is to be in a big boy bed, which he's getting ready for and we actually tried last week, but he was way too distracted by Jackson being in the same room. We'll probably try that again soon, but for now I'll keep him in his crib to try to preserve what little is left of his baby-hood.
11 comments:
He is so totally cute! I guess now that he is a big boy, it means that you need another baby to take his place! Hee Hee. I can't believe he is so big, I remember so vividly going for a walk with you the day he was born and we were all ticked because they would let you go to the hospital and then someone came flying out of the house and said the hospital called and to go before they changed their minds! Anyway, I'm rambling, I was up at 5:45 this morning! Peace Out
What a big boy Brady! I am so proud of him. And he is so cute! I enjoyed my conversation with Brady today as he told me that his soos soos were bye bye. Hooray for you!
That is so cute! "Oh no!" HA! I need to hear the "aaaahhhhh ssssshhhhheeeee" story too. I bet it's a good one! :)
You are so LUCKY!!! Collin is so obsessed with his "binthies" but he too only gets them at nap/bed time. I wish I could get him to throw them away, he's so attached to them. My mom and sisters give me a hard time, but I realized that until he's old enough to realize why he has to give them up, it's not worth the fight. Did you keep a spare for an emergency though?
I do keep a spare just in case...even though I've reached the point of no return! Also, I wouldn't sweat it with Collin until he's old enough to understand, and truthfully, I never thought it would be this easy with Brady either...he was so attached and then all of a sudden he was fine!
Way to go Brady! And aren't you glad Jules that you don't have to clean, disinfect, pick up, keep track of..etc... a soos anymore! Lucky hoo-er. That's a cute story.
That is sooooo cute! He reminds me of Brayden becuase he calls them soo soos too. Only gets them at bedtime but when he has his babeet (blankie) he has to have soo soo and babote (bottle) to hold on to. I think he'll be harder than Drew too...hopefully i'll have a Brady moment with him soon! I was thinking when he turns 2 in November! I'm about to put him in Drew's room so I can redo the nursery in pink so maybe that'll be the time! anyway i'm rambling too! Loves
This is my favorite post ever I think. Maybe because my kids loved thier soo-soos so much too. "Oh No" is so cute I had to read the story to Ryan. Yeah for Brady!!!!
AAAAAHHHHHH SSSSSHHHHHHEEEEEEE!!!
JULIE, THATS THE BEST THING I'VE READ ON THIS BLOG!
DONT BE TELLIN' MY STORIES!
STEVE
My mom would tell me the story about getting rid of my soother. I was OLD - I swear I was like 4!! But the night they threw them all away I cried so hard and threw such a fit that I made my dad go tot he store in the middle of the night and buy me a new one.. haha
Oh the soothers. Such a big deal! Glad to hear the transition went well. Madi did something similar when she lost hers one day...we couldn't find it and it was just suddenly okay. But then a few days later she tearfully asked for it again and claimed she just wanted to "tickle her face with it"...which is what she used to do with it when it wasn't in her mouth. Funny little ploys.
Post a Comment