So I must share the most awesome experience I had today at the gas station. These days there aren't many of those so this one needs to go down in the record books!
Okay, last week I went grocery shopping and received a coupon for $2 off my next gas purchase at the grocery store's gas station so today when I filled up I thought I'd better use it. Now, at the risk of exposing what a tight wad I can be I'll tell you that in order to get my $2 off I could only fill up 10 gallons of my gas tank. I was thinking that maybe I could fill up the whole thing and still get the attendent to honor my coupon because, as I reasoned, 10 gallons or 14 gallons, $2 bucks off is $2 bucks off. But then I remembered that I'm in 'Cago' and people generally aren't accomodating here so I stuck with filling up ONLY 10 gallons and reasoned that I could fill up the rest after I got my discount. (That is where my tight wad-ness comes in. Who just does 2 seperate transactions for $2? Apparantly I do! But keep in mind that I LOVE to get a discount and I spent enough money at the freakin grocery store to warrant such a discount. Also, I prefer to refer to myself in these types of situations as thrifty, not cheap!) Okay, back to the story...I fill up exactly 10 gallons and go into the store to pay. The lady tells me the total comes to $29.87 so I give the her my coupon and she tells me that it will be $9.98 or something. I'm acting all cool like okay, and I slide my card through but I'm thinking that there's gotta be some mistake and start debating if I should be honest and speak up. Well, the honesty won over since there are some minor dishonest things that I've done lately that need to be made up for like lying to the lady at the Plainfield Police Department, another story in and of itself (I know life doesn't work that way but I can still try right?) so I ask the lady why my gas is only $9. She says, "Well you had the coupon." and I say, "Yeah but it was only for $2 off." and she says, "Yeah...$2 off PER GALLON!" WTH!!!! I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. I started to laugh with glee and told the lady that she totally made my day and thanked her profusely. I think I even said, "What a GREAT suprise!" I then went out and filled up my van the rest of the way and made out like a bandit, spending a WHOPPING $16 and some change for an entire tank of gas! Seriously, it made me happier then when I get a surprise $5 mark down at Old Navy at the register and those who know me know that that makes me really really really happy! It was a great start to a great day, to say the least!
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
$0.98 per Gallon
Posted by
Julie
at
10:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That is AWESOME! I love when the grocery stores do discounts like that. The first time that happnened to me I got 30 cents off and I was like, big whup! but then realized it was 30 cents off per gallon and that was a lot better! But 2 bucks off?!! That's the best I have ever heard of! Dang, you must have spent a lot at the grocery store! :)
I am so happy for you, but jealous all at the same time! I also wish that you would have posted a picture of the gas station just for fun!
I so wish I could fill up for that!!!
You know what's funny? I REMEMBER being in Summerland and watching my parents fill up for $0.30 cents a litre. Amazing isn't it? I hate getting gas. It depresses me.
You lucky little whooer. And that is all I have to say about that.
I'm a total bargain lover too!! Seriously - $2 off a gallon is a steal. Not to mention that gas is actually becoming affordable again. Way to go my thrifty hoo-er.
You are a crack up! I love your cheapness! :) uh I mean thrifty...
Post a Comment