I would like to begin by stating for the record that us Brinkerhoff's are not huge Scouters. Aside from TJ's dad, none of the Brinkerhoff boys ever got their Eagle Scout Award, yet. Josh is working his way through Scouts and Taylor could probably still get his but the reality of the situation is that when you're heavily involved in sports it is a very difficult thing to make time for. Add in a distaste for the outdoors and there is the recipe for no Eagle Scouts. Well our poor Jackson may have been born into the wrong family because he LOVES Scouts and was able to attend his very first overnight scout camp while we were in Hawaii.
Now, before I continue I must give credit where credit is due. Our ward probably has THE BEST Scout leaders in the entire church! Seriously, they're amazing and committed to the boys and their success in scouts! Even though we're not very far into Scouts I can already tell what a HUGE difference having awesome leaders makes.
So with that said, the boys left for the campout on a chilly Friday evening and returned home the next morning. I had helped Jackson get everything ready before we left for our trip and I knew that he was prepared for cold weather but I still worried the entire time that he was cold!

The group before they took off for outdoor adventures!

Jackson preparing breakfast the next morning. When I talked to him he told me that it was the best breakfast he'd ever had! He loved it!

A cold but very pretty campground!
All in all Jackson had a blast. He assured me he was warm enough and slept well and had enough to eat and that he was super excited for the next camp out! Only 19 more nights to get his camping merit badge!
Then this past Sunday we attended a Court of Honor where 2 young men from our ward received their Eagle and Jackson received his Tenderfoot. He was also told in his board of review that he was the most enthusiastic Scouter they had talked to! He was quite pleased with that.
So, as I told his scout leaders...sports come first but we are absolutely committed to getting his Eagle Scout Award!


2 comments:
You go Jackson! I am keeping my fingers crossed for Taylor - it's this summer or never!!
Uncle Phil likes to camp, Jackson and Phil can be buddies while we sleep in a hotel!
Post a Comment