Control. I have been out of it for a long time when it comes to my eating habits. There have been days in the past months that I honestly haven't put one healthy thing in my face. Chips, pop, chocolate, fast food, ice cream...if its crap, chances are I've been eating it...a lot of it! So, in an effort to regain control I've started up with weight watchers again. I did WW several years ago when we lived in Illinois and had great success with it. I find its a program that just kind of fits my lifestyle. So since last Wednesday I've been counting my points, focusing on water, fruits, veggies, fiber, protein, etc. After I got past the refined "sugar withdrawl" which for me usually happens on the third day I felt pretty good. I'm getting used to the hungry feeling in my belly and as we watch tv at night I'm occupying my hands at night with sudoku as opposed to popcorn. I feel like I have control over my body and the food I eat and am remembering all those healthy lessons I learned from the last time. As an added bonus I've even lost 4 pounds so yay for me!
Monday, May 18, 2009
You have GOT to be Kidding Me!!!
HOWEVER...
There are a lot of women in my ward who are runners. I'm trying to be a runner too so I asked a friend if she would let me tag along with her in her run this morning. I told her I could probably do 2 miles, she said great so off we went! We probably got 1/2 a mile down the road when I got a terrible stitch in my side. I had to stop. We continued to walk at a brisk pace and when the stitch went away we started running again. It came back immediately. We stopped again. The stitch went away quicker that time so then we ran up a hill. I almost puked. Seriously people...I knew I was out of shape but I didn't think I was THAT out of shape. Out of the 4 mile route we probably didn't even run a mile of it. I feel like such a loser. Thankfully my friend was very understanding and told me she would walk with me any time while I promised her that I would build my endurance before I ever asked to tag along with her again. I am a total loser!
So here is my question. What can I do about the side stitches. I've heard breathing at a steady pace is the best thing to combat it and I've heard that higher altitudes have something to do with it too. All I know is that if it wasn't for the darn stitch I could've run further (probably not that much further but still further) I remember suffering this same ailment as a kid into a teenager. Its the main reason why I've never been a runner. Oh, I can step class, kick box, and power pump till the cows come home but I can't run!
Running is my EVEREST but I will conquer it. I'm on my way! I called another friend in my ward who is "out of shape" like myself and we're going running/walking bright and early tomorrow morning! We will work on it together. We will build our endurance and before too long we will be out with all the "real" runners!!! We'd better cause I have a 5k in 3 weeks!!!!
Posted by
Julie
at
2:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Way to go Ju!! I'm glad you're a WW lady with me!! I'm not saying I thought or even think you really need it but good for you!!!
Stitch thing....yep, breathing is the key!! Try breathing more in through your nose and out through your mouth! It feel totally crazy and like you're going to suffocate until you get used to it but that's just what I heard works! Let me know!
I don't know if this is true, but my dad always told me the pain comes when you have too much carbon dioxide in your lungs, so exhale heavily and inhale lightly as you work through it. Hang in there- nothing wrong with doing a walk/jog combo while you build up endurance! Good for you with the WW!
i think it is awesome that you have running as your goal. but seriously - when you're starting an exercise program, the worst thing you can do is something that hurts so bad you CAN'T do it.
why not just walk? you can get just as great a workout walking - you just have to do it for longer - and it is so much less stress on your body (and sides).
like you, i've been on the ups and downs of losing those last few pounds and dieting. i saw my greatest success when all i did for exercise was walk. and a little weight training to boot.
you go girl!!
I sometimes get stitches too. I think you have to be careful how much you eat and drink before going for a run...I know that really affects me. If I have too much water, I will always get a stitch, and once you have one, forget about running for atleast an hour! I hope this helps in your efforts to become a runner! I was totally out of shape after I had my girls and then I started a boot camp a year ago and I have been going 3 mornings a week for the last year...the hardest part was waking up at 6:30am!!! But it is amazing to see how you can transform your body and how much stronger I am. Good luck...you'll be just fine!
i will pray for you. although i'm kind of convinced that not EVERYONE can be runners,because i am definitely not one
From a former "non" runner, turned runner (sort of) who has the same genetic make up that you do, WATER and lots of it is the answer to your "stitch" problems. I used to get them SOOOOO bad but "my friend" Erin :-) who IS a SERIOUS runner (we're talking at least 3 or 4 marathons, maybe more) told me to drink more water and it worked! I hate running carrying a water bottle but I learned that once I had my endurance built up to be able to run 3 or 4 miles, if I drink a lot before I go, it helps. You can also get one of those camelback water packs that you wear on your back until you build your endurance up enough to be able to go a few miles without water or stitches. I was amazed when I heard water was the answer wince I've suffered from side stitches when I run my whole life. Once I started drinking enough water my world of running pain switched from side aches and knee pain to just knee pain! Good luck and I'm sooooo proud of you for running! Wanna meet me and Heather in Moab next March for the Moab 1/2 marathon?? It'll be fun..... Love You! Word verification is a dumb word so no funny sentence!
I love you and you are funny!
Believe it or not I just read another article today that scientifically proves walkers lose more weight, because although they don't burn as many calories they burn twice the fat that runners do in the same amount of distance. So, go to Women's Fitness and Health mag and show your friends! Walkers Rule babe!!
So funny! I started running for the first time in my life last week. I have started running with friends as well. I too am suffering from "the painful stitch" and was searching for cures myself!! My first day of running I could only run for 3 minutes and then I had to walk a couple minutes and so on until we had completed the journey. The second day I was able to run the ENTIRE journey (20 minutes) until the stitch got the better of me and I had to walk. The third day I did 1.5 miles at a much faster pace without stopping I am finding that I am better off to run through the stitch than walking it off. I find walking just makes it worse. I'm going to try the drinking water trick tomorrow morning.
I have been trying to take in less calories and do the no food after supper trick. I have stopped gaining but haven't noticed a loss in weight yet. I knew that the time would come in my life when I could no longer rely on my youth to stay thin and firm. In the past year, I swear my body has turned to goo and I've put on 8 pounds since November. I was just hoping I could slide through life with a high metabolism. I realize now that that was wishful thinking and that I have to take care of myself.
Good luck with the WW and the running! I'll be thinking of you when I'm working out and through the hunger pains in my tummy!
I HATE running so I am no help but I love ya!
Justin says he was told to take longer strides and breathe deeper on the exhale- he does run - what a good boy! :)
I also hate running but have a weird desire to be a good runner one day and love it! I hate how
"runners" make us feel that way!
I usually go out for my first run of the season when I'm ready to get into shape and immediately dread the next day! Good luck though!
that is awesome that you are doing something good for yourself. Walking the best thing to do in my opinion. Especially it is better and reeks less havoc on your knees. Keep up the good work and it will pay off and remember to eat healthy too.
Way to conquer your food issues and running! I am so proud of you! The things I sent you should arrive tomorrow and hopefully they will help you with your side stitch issue. Be a champion today!
As for all the walkers comments, you DO burn more calories running than you do walking and I read an article that said that people who do difficult cardio, such as running, where you exert yourself greatly, have flatter stomachs! Who doesn't want a flat stomach? Also, I feel like I've worked soooo much harder when I run. It can be difficult, but I feel like I've actually pushed myself to the limit when I run. Sorry walkers!
Good luck to you and way to go
Awesome! I will never be a runner. I have the stitch problem and a bad knee. Only stair master and eliptical for me. Good job Julie. You are not a loser!
I WANT to be a runner...but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for it. Mostly because I can't bring myself to actually GO OUT and do it (or try to). lol. Good for you girl!!
Post a Comment