I remember when I was a little girl my mom telling me to NEVER EVER fall asleep with gum in my mouth. Well, inevitably it happened one day and I woke up with gum all through my hair. I don't remember what happened after that but I'm guessing it had to be cut...in fact I may have even cut it out myself to hide what I had done!
Along those same lines I have also had a round brush stuck in my hair. Not as serious as the gum but I do remember the brief panic that set in when I realized I may have to cut the brush out!
I even have a friend who got a round brush stuck in her hair when she was like 16 and actually had to hack her hair off to get it out.
What about when I was home for the summer from BYU and ended up with BRIGHT ORANGE hair after a trip to the salon? The next day I went back to get it fixed and ended up with FIRE ENGINE RED hair. I believe the day after that I ended up on the phone with my sylist from Utah in tears asking her what I should do. The next thing I knew I was at the drug store on a Sunday evening with Jenny and Julie buying some BLACK hair dye to cover up the mess that my stylist at home had created.
My point is this...girls and hair can be very very emotional. Whether its a bad hair day, gum stuck, a bad cut or color or facing the prospect of having all your long hair cut off due to a stuck brush, its a very emotional thing.
Now picture this...Friday evening Alison, who was visiting for the weekend, and I returned home from picking up pizza to find my precious Natalie with a round brush stuck in her hair. She was terribly upset as her daddy tried to untangle it, due to the pain, embarassment and emotional trauma the whole situation had created!
After a good half hour to fourty five minutes of Daddy trying to loosen and untangle her hair we reached the conclusion that the hair was simply wound too tight around the brush and would have to be cut out.
As you can well imagine no daughter of mine will ever get her hair HACKED off by anybody but a trained professional so I jumped on the phone and tried to get a hold of my stylist. Unfortuately her salon had closed so I racked my brain and called every "good" salon I could think of. I reached one, but they had no appointments available that evening but did take the time to ask if I wanted to schedule one for the next day. Ummmmm, let me think. I just told you that my 5 year old has a round brush stuck in her hair. YES!! I do think it can wait until tomorrow! Could you please schedule me an appointment? People are stupid!
Finally I decided that a Salon specifically for children was my next best option and there happens to be one right around the corner from where I live so I called over there and they told me to come on in! I must admit even I was emotional as I thought of my beautiful little girl having to get her hair HACKED off, but then the woman on the phone told me that the brush may not even have to be cut out!!!!
Poor little Natalie sat so brave and true as the stylist messed with her tangled hair. Ali had told her she could get a treat when the whole ordeal was over if she was really brave, so Natalie did her best and sat as still as can be while Kathy, the stylist, worked out the brush.
Natalie was also a very good sport as I snapped pictures in her time of trial. Since I'm apparently 72% addicted to blogging I of course immediately thought what a great posting this would be.
SUCCESS!!!! Nothing a little detangler and the pointed end of a comb won't fix. Hmmmmm, why didn't I think of that?
A much happier girl getting a snuggle from Auntie Ali.It was a very traumatic evening for poor Natalie Rae. I think the embarassment and the thought of having to cut her hair off was a little devastating to her, since she absolutely sobbed when I told her the brush might have to be cut out. Her father, not understanding that hair and emotions are connected, was completely fed up and impatient when we got to the hair cutting suggestion point, and had no compassion for little Natalie. Don't worry though, Ali and I calmly explained that hacking ones hair off unexpectedly is an extremely upsetting thing for girls, big and small!

12 comments:
Poor Nannie Rae Rae! You can still see how upset she was in the last picture, even though the brush is out and she's throwing it away! She just looks spent! I'm glad it didn't have to be cut out.
Nannie Rae, I am so sad that happened! I too have had a round brush stuck in my locks. I love the pictures! All I can say is go Kathy (the stylist). I am so glad she didn't have to get it cut.
I am glad I was there and glad that she got to keep her beautiful long hair!! I had a great weekend with you all!!!
Oh my gosh...do I ever sympathize with the emotional drama of little girl with hair issues! I am however, suddenly feeling like an evil person for UNprofessionally HACKING off my daughters hair 3 weeks ago...Thanks a lot! :-) (only kidding!) Sometimes a Mom's gotta do what a Mom's gotta do! And in this case I'm SO glad her hair got saved!
P.S. That pic of Reece in the Bronco's outfit. That is just plain priceless!
Yeah...let me clarify on the need to take her to a salon to get her hair cut. The brush was so close to her head that it would've ended up in a MAJOR a-line bob...like Victoria Beckham-ish. That's why it was nessecary to take her to a trained professional!!!
Oh Nan I so totally relate! Poor girl, glad it all worked out in the end. And yes, get rid of that brush!! Her hair is so long by the way - wow!
Poor little bug! I totally hurt looking at those pictures. :(
OMGosh, that is way traumatic. i totally remember getting gum stuck in my hair for days. and then it smelling like peanut butter or mayo for days. gross. just remind Nannie Rae that Auntie Shannon had to chop her hair off while she was at BYU because she was trying to show off for a boy at a BBQ and burned 1/2 her hair, an eyebrow, and arm hair all off.
aghk! I was so scared for her little head and yet excited for new short hair pictures.. but alas, I am sooo glad she got that our! POor thing, that has happened to me plenty of times.
Give her a hug for me...what a traumatic evening! Hair defines you no matter what age I think...it's a most treasured asset! SHe is a brave girl getting through it! Love her
Poor Natalie! I remember that happening to me. I'm glad you were able to get it out and she got to keep her pretty hair!! I love that you captured every dramatic moment of that whole ordeal!! And a Big Happy Birthday to Jackson!!
Oh my gosh... poor girl! She is such a trooper though, all that time spent to get it out and letting you take all the pictures. I remember my mom telling me the same thing when I was little... NEVER fall asleep with gum in your mouth. Gum would be better than that round brush though. OUCH! I'm glad it came out finally and you didn't have to hack off her hair... even though she would be beautiful with long or short hair!
Post a Comment